Change to Newlands times
From 1 July:
The kids class will extend to 7:15pm
The senior class will start from 6:45pm
There will be a 30 minute crossover period where both classes are training together.
Coloured Belt Gradings
Take note of the date of the first grading which is now locked in…
– #1 – 4th August, 6pm, Northland Memorial Community Centre
– #2 – Currently scheduled for last weekend in November. May include a seminar.
Black Belt Gradings
– Black Belt Grading Trainings
- These are starting again on 12 July and will continue through to the September 19/20 grading. The schedule is a bit mixed up with some trainings on Saturday, some on Sunday, and sometimes in Northland, and sometimes in Johnsonville.
12-Jul Sun Northland 09:00 – 13:00
18-Jul Sat J’ville 13:00 – 16:00
26-Jul Sun Northland 09:00 – 13:00
2-Aug Sun J’ville 14:00 – 17:00
9-Aug Sun Northland 09:00 – 13:00
15-Aug Sat J’ville 08:30 – 17:00
23-Aug Sun Northland 09:00 – 13:00
29-Aug Sat J’ville 13:00 – 16:00
6-Sep Sun Northland 09:00 – 13:00
13-Sep Sun J’ville 14:00 – 17:00
- There will be another series later in the year, likely to start towards the end of September, in the lead-up to the December grading. 10am – 12:30pm Saturdays in Berhampore
– Sept Black Belt Grading – Chilton St James, Lower Hutt on 19th/20th September. The Sunday afternoon is open for all to watch, and I highly recommend getting along to see what it’s all about.
This one is a little bit different, because it’s being organized by Spirit Newlands. So closer to the time we might be asking for a helping hand.
– December Black Belt Grading – 5th-6th December. It’s looking likely that this grading will be in Hastings.
Instructor Induction Course – Newlands Hall – July 12th
A course that must be completed before you go for your black belt grading.
Sunday July 12
9:00 pm to 1:00 pm
If you want to do this, you must complete the online course one week before this practical.
Note: It is for blue belts and above of all ages. This is a requirement for anyone grading to 1st dan or above.
This course is designed to help get you started in instructing or assisting with instructing. This is a Practical Training Course and can only be attended once you pass the theory part on-line. (https://www.members.itkd.co.
– Wellington Regionals – Currently scheduled for Sunday 26th July. Please block this in your calendar now. We want to encourage as many students as possible to attend this event. It’s a huge personal growth opportunity. Register here
– Not a tournament, but Wellington Region Tournament Team Trainings. In the 9 weeks between the Wellington Regionals (above) and the National Tournament (below), there will be team trainings.
The training sessions are as follows. $40 for the lot.
week 1: Sat 4 July 1-3:30pm
week 2: Sun 12 July 2-4:30pm
week 3: Sun 19 July 2-4:30pm
week 4: no training due to Regional tournament
week 5: hall not available. We will advise venue/time closer to the time.
week 6: Sun 9 Aug 2-4:30pm
week 7: Sun 16 Aug 2-4:30pm
week 8: Sat 22 Aug 1-3:30pm
week 9: Sun 30 Aug 2-4:30pm
week 10: Sat 5 Sept 1-3:30pm
– Nationals in Tauranga 12th/13th September. Great opportunity to compete at the National tournament. Helps give a bigger perspective of how big our organisation is! Yellow Belts and Up
– Junior Belt Tournament TBC – usually end of year. White and Yellow Belts only
– Other Tournaments – There might be tournaments from time to time as we start to ramp up again after lockdown. We will keep an eye out for you.
Kids Camp (8 – 15 years old) – 21/22 November – Aongatete Lodge in the Bay of Plenty. We’ve been a bit remiss in promoting this in recent years, but this is an excellent annual Kids Camp. This has rave reviews and is something to keep an eye out for. It usually books out really fast.
Vets Camp (Age 35+) – 7-9 August – Aongatete Lodge in the Bay of Plenty – at the other end of the scale there is also a Vets camp for those aged 35+, being held on 7-9 August. A lot of fun. Not a whole lot of Taekwon-Do. 🙂 https://tkdhosting.com/vetcamp/
IMPORTANT NOTE about Participation Credits
If you are not yet aware, one of the requirements you must meet in order to grade to Black Belt is to have earned 10 “participation credits”. These credits come from attending events outside of normal training. This could take the form of
– Special trainings (e.g. our end-of-year mini tournament would count)
So, two things about that.
1) Make sure you ARE attending these things over time. Looking forward to a black belt grading, only to find that you don’t qualify because you’re short on credits … well … that sorta sucks.
2) Keep a RECORD of what you do attend. Trying to go back over several years of events is not an easy task. So, start keeping a list in a safe place.
Stay up to date on Facebook here:
Black Belts should also request to join the BB group here:
A massive central source of information for NZ Taekwon-Do events and news … https://members.itkd.co.nz – Most events / applications etc are on this site.